Friday, September 11, 2015

Decodable Books

Did It Fit? by Robert Charles

Publisher: Learning A-Z

ISBN: None

Did It Fit? covers the short vowel sound.  We meet a pig, a dog, and a little boy.  They each try on a hat to see if it fits.

Rating:

I give Big NO SMILE.  It is a simplistic book, but it's not interesting.  The characters only put on hats.  I think that there could be more intriguing ways to showcase the short vowel sound.  The illustrations were cute, but not enticing as well.


The Mutt and the Bug by Cheryl Ryan

Publisher: Learning A-Z

ISBN: None

The Mutt and the Bug focuses on the short u sound.  The mutt meets a bug who wants a hug, then meets a cub who also wants a hug.  

Rating:

This story gets a LITTLE SMILE.  There is a little bit of a progression in the story, but there is no ending.  The last page is of the cub asking for a hug.  It bothers me that I do not know whether or not the cub got its hug.  There was a word with a short 'u' sound in each line of the book, which lead to great practice.


The Kind Knight by Susan Hartley

Publisher Learning A-Z

ISBN: None

A scary dragon in a fairy tale land was giving the town a fright.  A knight was sent to slay the dragon and cure the town of its' nuisance.  The knight learned the dragon was old and blind.  He set everything right in the town.

Rating:

I give this title a BIG SMILE.  There was a story line that I could follow, and it came to an end.  The Kind Knight tickles my emotions when the dragon reached out and said it was blind.  I not only got to practice my pronunciation of the long 'i' sound, but also learned to not judge a book by its' cover.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

The Kind Knight looks and sounds much more interesting than the other two books. It seems to have a story line, which seems to be kind of rare in decodable texts.

Katrin Blamey said...

Yes, you are right that these decodable books tend not to be that interesting. It seems like the author of The Kind Knight was at least more creative!

Unknown said...

This looks like a very interesting decodable book compared to some of the ones I reviewed. The creative story that will not only keep kids interested but also help them learn to pronounce words. ----------------------Amanda Tarantino

Dayna Galati said...

i love the way you rate the books, kept me laughing haha. I think the kind knight sounds like the best one out of all your decodable books