Mouse's House By Lorna Read
Publisher: Brimax (September 1, 1997)
ISBN: 1858547008
Mouse's House is an adorable short story about a family of mice who have outgrown their home. Once they move into their new home, they quickly realize that their sleepy heads have no place to sleep, nor a table to eat. The friendly neighborhood animals all pitch in and donate items to make their house a home.
Rating:
I give Mouse's House the rating of a BIG SMILE. I enjoyed how the words flowed and the rhyming sentences on every page. I also loved how the illustrations on each page corresponded with the story creating a beautiful visualization of the story.Deep Sea Countdown By Justin Spelvin
Publisher: Simon Spotlight (September 6, 2006)
ISBN: 9781416914846
Two deep sea divers named Tyrone and Pablo go on an adventure in their submarine looking for lost treasure. On their trip they get lost and leave the submarine searching for help. Luckily, they found two mermaids who lead them to their treasure and celebrated with a snack back on land.
Rating:
Deep Sea Countdown deserves one BIG SMILE. Not only are the pictures colorful and enticing, but there is an educational component as well. I enjoyed that when the story stated the number of items the boys saw, the reader could count along with the illustration.
On the Farm By Roger Priddy
Publisher: Priddy Books (December 26, 2006)
ISBN: 9780312498597
On the Farm displays five farm yard animals. Each has their own page dedicated to them with a sample of something fuzzy to allow for the experience of petting them. The simple language is easy for even an infant to enjoy.
Rating:
I give this book a SMALL SMILE. The part I enjoyed most was the fuzzy fabric that gives a new tactile stimulation to the book, which would be great for infants. The part that I did not enjoy as much was the story. There was no progression and the minimal rhyming left me thinking that only infants would get full excitement out of this book.

1 comment:
I definitely agree with your point that infants and young readers enjoy the rhythm that comes with a rhyming structure--unless the board book is a concept book that is teaching a beginning informational concept. I like the inclusion of the book covers in your next set of entries--it really helps make the blog posts more visual for the reader.
Post a Comment